Friday, July 8, 2011

Milestones

So I know most moms have had to go through this before, but this week I am a super proud, yet kind of sad mom. Tuesday, Amelia stood up by herself for the first time…at daycare. I had to hear about one of my baby's biggest milestones to date from a teacher.


I was lucky enough with Braden to be at daycare to see him take his first step. There is nothing like that moment when you see your baby proudly toddling towards you. Like I said – with him I was lucky. Had I been 2 minutes later to pick him up, I would have missed it.

Now, short of winning the lottery and being able to quit my job, or somehow convincing daycare to allow Amelia to wear a helmet cam (which may or may not be a bad idea), I think I'm going to have to get used to missing things like this. Even though I've been doing it for 3 years now (and sometimes guiltily enjoy the alone time), it still is a hard concept to get used to – someone else having that big of a part in raising your children.

But, speaking of milestones, it is funny how differently I have come to feel about milestones. With Braden I couldn't wait for him to do everything. I would eagerly read ahead in my "What to expect" books to see just how far ahead of the pack he was and revel in it. When he rolled over for the first time it was a glorious moment. Started crawling, even better, but when he started walking at 10 months I was over the moon. My kid was an over-achiever!

Now, fast forward 2 ½ years to Amelia. Not that I am not equally as proud of everything she accomplishes, because I am, but I find myself willing her to accomplish things at a slightly slower rate (not that it is really working). When all she could do was lie and wait, life was good. I didn't have to worry about what she would get into next or how I might lose her in my own home. That is no longer the case. I have been used to Braden being somewhat self sufficient and knowing what he can and can't do and where he can and can't go that I'm having to retrain my mind for another infant. She is constantly disappearing on me, and now that she is mobile, getting her dressed every morning resembles several heats of a 100 yard dash.
But, no matter how quickly they walk or run, no matter if they can count to 2 or 100, no matter what else happens with my kids and their development, I am one super proud momma and nothing they can do will ever change that (even when they would rather me not be!)



No comments:

Post a Comment