Wednesday, April 28, 2010

17 weeks appointment

So I heard my morning show DJ say something I think it pretty prolific this morning. He has 2 younger children and mentioned that every action he takes or doesn't take towards his children will affect branches of his family tree for generations to come.

When I first heard this, I thought – Ludacris! Then when I started thinking about it, it makes sense. How many studies have been published that children who were abused grow up to be abusers, or children of domestic violence often continue the cycle with their own children? And on the other hand, how many children who grown up in wonderful families go on to have happy, normal families of their own?

Now some people might think that is a scary situation to be in – that your actions – good or bad – can shape your family for years and decades to come. I think it is an amazing and awesome responsibility and gladly accept the challenge.

Of course, some days it is easier said than done! We make it our first priority to raise Braden (and peanut) in a safe, nurturing environment. But beyond that, what is our responsibility? We are teaching him manners and I take no greater pride than when adults tell me that my 2 year old tells them thank you. We teach him how to enjoy life – both the simple and exciting things. We are working to teach him patience and in the meantime trying to learn it ourselves. We teach him that hitting is not a way to solve things by not using that method for discipline. Not that I see anything wrong with it, but we learned very early on that he mimicked our actions and started hitting us and other children.

I think some people are afraid to bear children into the world we live in today because it is a scarier place than when we were kids. We face oil shortages, child predators, school shootings, environmental issues, and the list goes on. But how exciting is it that I can the opportunity to change that world starting with 2 children – my own. They say some teachers have an impact that stay with children forever, but how much more true is that for parents? I am excited at the prospect of being able to teach my children the way I'd like the world to be – a courteous, non-violent, wonderful world. That doesn't mean I put blinders on them, but I can change this world – even if it is a small step at a time.

Anyway, I know this is a bit chipper – maybe it's the hormones, but I just wanted to share my excitement with you!

16 week Checkup

Ok – so I'm not sure if I've shared this with all of you, but I'm making my "sex" prediction now. I'm pretty sure it's a boy. Don't ask me why – I just am. In the beginning I really, really wanted a girl, but now that it's almost time to find out, I am becoming more and more excited just about finding out and more and more comfortable with the idea of having 2 boys.

Anyway, had my almost 17 week appointment last Friday (April 23rd) and all was well with mommy and baby. My blood pressure is super great and the doc even said she was "proud" of my weight management.

She and I also got into a very humerous discussion about how I'm a weird (my words not hers) preggo woman. Example – most women's allergies get worse when they are pregnant or have a baby. Mine have almost cured themselves. I still have occasional attacks (mainly when I'm visiting relatives) but at home – nada. I went from twice a week – could not drive – attacks to nothing. Then there is the eye color. After I had Braden my eyes turned more green than blue. Now that I'm pregnant again, my eyes are back to blue. Then there is the teeth thing. Most women's teeth get better after they deliver – I never had a single tooth problem (other than braces) in my life until after I delivered Braden. Now that I'm pregnant again – 1st cavity. Go figure!

Anyway, it's just funny how different things are and you don't realize it until you compare notes!

Next doc appointment with my doc is May 21st…and by then we'll know the sex! I got May 3rd to find out the sex! At this point Brad and I just want to know! Braden still wants a doggie so I'm pretty sure we can rule out that he's getting what he wants out of this =)

One more fun announcement (I may have said this already but I can't remember anything to save my life these days!) We're putting the house on the market at the end of May. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment