Friday, January 29, 2010

Birthday Wishes

Today on my birthday some folks began to reminisce about what it was like when I was born. As I heard some stories it made me think about how different life is now for a delivering mother than it was then. Some things are better, but in some ways I think its worse.
First of all, did you know that when I was born, people were allowed to smoke in hospitals? Actually they were allowed to smoke in the delivery room. It almost seems comical to me because that is not something I could ever fathom! They also used to give you and your spouse champagne once you delivered. None of that happening anymore. On the bright side though, the used to give you and your spouse a steak dinner to go along with your champagne. Do you know what I got once I delivered for the first 4 hours? A candy bar that Brad had smuggled in from the outside world. And I can promise you that I DID NOT seeing anything remotely resembling a steak. I think the closest I got was the McDonald's Brad smuggled in.
One thing I am loving though is the ability to determine a baby's sex. My parents did not know what I was going to be until I came out. That is one thing that I don't want to do! I can barely wait until 18 weeks! I need to know these things if I'm going to have the first 5 birthday themes planned out by 20 weeks! =)
One step that technology has made that I don't like is the 3 and 4-D images you can get. To me, one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen was the first glimpse I saw of my newborn child. I wouldn't have wanted that moment ruined by having seen him a few weeks before. I guess that's just me.
I guess even though I don't get steak and champagne, I'd much rather deliver in my private room with ESPN than deliver 29 years ago sharing a smoke filledroom with another mother.
Oh yeah, Braden has decided he no longer wants a baby sister. He instead wants a baby puppy. I have tried to explain to him that I'm not going to be much help with that, but he is very adamant. Which has left Brad and I contemplating getting him a puppy for Christmas. And yes, I know we're insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment